Assigned homework will almost always be practice work based on the lesson we've just learned. There are a number of options for getting help with assignments. Your best preparation for success is to:
- stay alert and focused during class,
- take useful notes,
- ask questions to clarify your understanding, and
- do the classwork.
Here are a few ways to get help:
- I am in our classroom and available for help between 2:30 and 3:30 each day unless otherwise posted.
- Do your homework with a math partner, or a homework group.
- If you are unable to make progress on an assignment, call a friend who is in your math class.
- There are volunteer adult math tutors in the building on Tuesday mornings before school.
A few tips for doing math homework:
- Try to have a specific time during the day for doing your homework. Our classroom is usually available at 2:30.
- Work in a quiet place without distractions. Put away your cellphone, and the internet (unless you are using it as a math reference).
- Read the directions again, carefully.
- Check your math notes for a problem similar to the one you are doing.
- For a word problem, draw a picture. This often helps to clarify the problem.
- Skip a problem that you are stuck on, and come back to it after you complete other problems.